Dealing with an unwanted pregnancy can be challenging for you both. It’s important to remember she may have strong emotions and some of them may be directed at you. Pregnancy hormones can accentuate anything she is feeling. We’ve found that one of the best things you can do is listen – and then express your support. She is ultimately the one who has to undergo the process to end an early pregnancy, so affirming her decision is a powerful way to show her you care.
10 WAYS TO SUPPORT HER
1. Be Honest. While women have to make the final decision, knowing how you think and feel makes a big difference.
2. Don’t Shy Away From Extreme Emotions. Both of you may be very emotional. Listen, and be there for her. You don’t need to understand everything that she is feeling.
3. Understand That It Is Her Decision. It may not be fair, or right, but you are not in control. You can work together to make the best decision for everyone involved. Direct your energy into supporting her. Offer to pay for the procedure.
4. Find the Best Medical Care. Deciding where to get an abortion is very important. Your partner deserves to end the pregnancy naturally and safely with a medical abortion or non-surgical abortion procedure. If you have questions, you can always schedule a private consultation together with one of our physicians.
5. Don’t Delay. If you and your partner are considering ending a pregnancy, you can make an appointment to talk with us privately – even if she hasn’t made a decision. The earlier, the better. Explore your options, here.
6. Pamper Her. Let her know you are there for her. Your loving presence and gestures mean a lot. A soft touch or a reassuring smile goes a long way.
7. Let Her Be Angry. You’re both emotional, but she is the one who has to go through it physically.
8. Reach Out to Other People. One of the hardest parts about going through an unwanted pregnancy is that nobody talks about it! It’s more common than you think. Try reaching out to friends, or schedule a private consultation with one of our physicians.
9. Take Responsibility for Preventing the Next Pregnancy. Learn more about your birth control options and play an active role in making the decision together.
10. It’s Going to be OK. At Early Options®, we have expertise in helping couples just like you navigate this situation. Our goal is that you leave feeling good about your decision – and her medical abortion care.