Safety Of Abortion
(Safety of abortion FAQ)
The safest time to complete an abortion is under 12 weeks of pregnancy. There are two early abortion methods endorsed by the World Health Organization: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (we call it SofTouch®) and the Abortion PIll. There is no problem with getting pregnant in the future with either of these methods.
SofTouch® is performed using a small hand-held device that delivers gentle pressure. The discomfort is tolerable with a local anesthetic. It’s so gentle that you’ll be ready to resume normal activities when you leave the office.
- End the pregnancy under 12 weeks from the first day of your last period.
- Choose the SofTouch® procedure or the Abortion Pill, if available.
- Avoid uterine scraping or the use of a “curette”. Scraping poses unnecessary risks in first trimester abortions. Surgical abortion for early pregnancies is usually completed without scraping.
- Evaluate the credentials and experience of the abortion doctor.
- Seek care immediately at the first sign of an infection